This is a special edition dedicated to the recognition of SAQA form CEO Mr Samuel Isaacs’s contribution to the NQF. The papers look into the development of the National Qualifications Framework (NQF) in South Africa. They reflect on the framework objectives, as well as offer critique and applaud. The Bulletin takes a look at the evolution of the South African NQF and presents valuable lessons for consideration, and from these a more effective NQF future is imagined.
Overall, the framework is defined and contextualised; it is demystified and made real not only for an individual’s education ambitions and reality, but also for role-players and stakeholders to participate actively in its development and implementation. The South African Qualifications Authority Act as well as the National Qualifications Framework Act have both been annexed in the Bulletin.
Contents of this Bulletin
- Editorial comments
- Ways if seeing the National Qualifications Framework: an introduction
- Discussion document: Lifelong learning through a National Qualifications Framework
- Making the nqf road by walking reflectively, accountably and boldly
- South Africa’s National Qualifications Framework: reflections in the Seventh Year of the SAQA
- Do good ideas matter?
- National Qualifications Frameworks as integrated qualifications frameworks
- “Optimism of the will, pessimism of the intellect”: Building communities of trust in South Africa
- Recognising learning and its outcomes
- Response to Dr Jim Gallacher’s paper, “National qualifications frameworks: instruments of change or agents of change?”
- The NQF as a socially inclusive and cohesive system: communities of practice and trust
- A critical reflection on current qualifications frameworks and possible future directions in Africa
- National Qualifications Frameworks: Insights from South Africa
- Lessons from the South African National Qualifications Framework
- How are we doing in relation to NQF objectives? Measuring the impact of the South African NQF
- End note
- SOUTH AFRICAN QUALIFICATIONS AUTHORITY ACT
- NATIONAL QUALIFICATIONS FRAMEWORK ACT