Although qualifications are registered at the same NQF level, they cannot be considered equivalent. The levels, however, do indicate similar learning outcomes of the qualification and the expected cognitive ability of the learner after the learning intervention.
Are qualifications registered at National Qualifications Framework (NQF) level 4 equivalent to the National Senior Certificate?
A qualification at NQF level 4 or higher is not equivalent to the National Senior Certificate. There are various avenues one can take to attain a school-leaving certificate:
- Complete the National Senior Certificate
- Complete Senior Certificate if you are 21 years and older. Please refer to this link for more information:
- Complete the National Certificate Vocational (NCV)
- Complete the N3 plus 2 Languages to receive the National Senior Certificate
For further clarity, please contact the Council for Quality Assurance in General and Further Education and Training, Umalusi, which is responsible for the certification of the following qualifications:
- Senior Certificate (SC) which was offered before 2008 and is being phased out,
- National Senior Certificate (NSC) which replaced the Senior Certificate and commenced in 2008,
- National Technical Certificate N3,
- National Senior Certificate: Colleges – phased out at the end of 2011,
- National Certificate: Vocational (NCV) – commenced in 2007,
- General Education Training Certificate: Adults (GETC).
Umalusi can be contacted on the following contact details:
Telephone: 012 349 1510
Is the National Diploma equivalent to the National N Diploma?
Both the National Diploma offered by Universities of Technology (UoTs) and the National N Diploma offered by Technical and Vocational Education and Training (TVET) colleges are registered at NQF level 6. While both are registered at the same NQF level, they are not equivalent as each qualification has a specific purpose and exit-level outcomes.
Please note that the National Diploma articulates to the Bachelor of Technology at NQF level 7, and the National N Diploma articulates vertically with a Bachelors Degree at NQF level 7 in the related field, and horizontally with a Diploma or Advanced Certificate at NQF level 6.