Matric Exemption Certificates


How can I study further if I did not pass matric or receive an exemption?

A matriculation exemption is a legal requirement for first-degree studies at a South African university. Students who did not pass Senior Certificate with endorsement are required by law to apply for a matriculation exemption through the Matriculation Board.


International students wishing to register for first-degree studies in South Africa must have their school qualifications evaluated by the Matriculation Board that will then issue a certificate of exemption to those who qualify.


A certificate of exemption is issued on application to prospective students who have obtained a Senior Certificate without endorsement or equivalent foreign school-leaving qualification, who meet the requirements of the published regulations and wish to pursue first-degree studies at a South African university.


You can obtain the application form through the following ways:


For further information, you can contact:

Universities South Africa

Matriculation Board & Exemption Certificates
Telephone: +27 010 591 4401/2


Fax: +27 86 680 5727

Printer Friendly, PDF & Email