Dr Whitfield Green
Dr Whitfield Green was previously the Chief-Director, Teaching, Learning and Research Development in the South African Department of Higher Education and Training, a post he held from 2010. In this position, he led the work of the Department in respect of:
- Supporting the development of a university-based teacher education system;
- Leading the development and implementation of qualifications policies for teachers in the range of education sub-sectors;
- Developing, implementing and monitoring policy and programmes to support capacity development at universities for advancing student success, staff development and programme/curriculum development, including through management and oversight of the Department’s University Capacity Development Programme; and
- Developing a coordinated system for the management of international postgraduate scholarship partnerships.
- Prior to the position of chief director, Dr Green was the Director for Initial Teacher Education in the former Department of Education, a position he held from 2008. Dr. Green also has extensive experience in a range of education settings, having served as a high school teacher, as a teacher education college lecturer, and as lecturer and senior lecturer at university level.
- He holds a Bachelor of Science, Higher Diploma in Education, Bachelor of Education Honours, Master of Education, all from the University of Natal/KwaZulu-Natal, and a PhD from the University of Stellenbosch.